Granola is one the best ways to get a balanced and nutritious breakfast. The foundations of oats, coconut oil and honey provide your body with the carbohydrates it need to start the day (fast and slow release), natural fats you need for cell growth/maintenance and of course fibre for your digestion.
– 500g Organic oats
– 4 tbs Coconut oil
– 4 tbs Organic honeyYou can now add whatever you like, as long it fits in with your fitness goal. I like to add a type of nut/seed for protein, dried fruit for extra sugar and fibre and something for added flavour.
– 150g Nuts (pecans are my favourite)
– 100g Dried fruit (cranberries)
– 1 tbs Cinnamon (for flavour)
If I have a particularly active day ahead I will add another good source of slow release carbohydrate such as chia seeds.
1. Pre heat the oven to 150c/gas mark 2.
2. Mix all of the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
3. Put the honey and coconut oil on low heat in a saucepan until they mix together.
4. Pour the honey and coconut oil mix over the dry ingredients, then toss well.
5. Lay the mixture out in a baking tray lined with baking paper, then bake in the oven for about 25 minutes at 150c.
6. Once the mixture is golden brown, leave to cool.
You can choose to enjoy it with milk, almond, yoghourt or may favourite, a spoon of peanut butter. Yuuuummmm!
Neda – London Personal Trainer and Healthy Chef.
P.S. Follow me on Instagram for more recipe ideas and fitness inspiration.